Sunday, October 31, 2004

The Hack, Gack, Yack

The Gypsy Doberman developed a cough back in September. I talked to my friends at Special Needs Doberman and they suggested Kennel Cough, allergies, congestive heart failure, aspirated food or (hopefully not) cancer. I took her to the vet, he poked around a little bit, couldn't hear anything, felt around, nothing seemed too wrong and of course, she wouldn't hack for him. He ruled out Kennel Cough, aspirated food and congestive heart failure. He suggested a run of antibiotics. I think antibiotics are over prescribed, so I asked if he thought it would be ok to wait and see for maybe ten days. He thought that would be fine. It didn't get better, actually worse. So I went back and got a run of antibiotics. We did the ten day run, and it was still getting worse. I decided it was time and bucked up and paid for the X-Rays.

I still cry when I think about what I saw on those X-rays. I didn't need a Doctor to tell me that there shouldn't be something where something was. She had a tumor the size of her heart pushing against it and another one pushing against her diaphram. Toby had lung cancer. It was inoperable and they couldn't treat it with chemo either. It was my job to make her as comfortable as I could for as long as I could. Have a nice day, thanks for playing our game. That was October 16th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home